January 6, 2013

Chick-Fil-A Chocolate Chip Cookie: Attempt 1

Chick-Fil-A Cookie via Google


A few months ago my boyfriend and I went to Chick-Fil-A after dinner, because we both wanted dessert. He wanted a milkshake like always, and I was going to get ice cream. That was until I saw they had a new chocolate chunk cookie on the menu. So I decided to try it.

That was when my idea of the best chocolate chip cookie changed forever! Cookies from a fast food restaurant, no way... But yes way! They are always warm no matter when you get one; they are slightly crunchy on the outside but soooo gooey and chocolatey on the inside; they have a different texture from most chocolate chip cookies, sort of like finely chopped nuts but no nutty flavor; They are huge, like almost a meal; And they are truly the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had.

Ever since then I've been on a mission to find the recipe. These days with Google, you can find many good restaurant foods on a copy cat website, or sometimes even on the restaurant's website. However, the true Chick-Fil-A cookies are no where to be found. There are some recipes that claim to be the Chick-Fil-A Cookie, but just from looking at the pictures, they look nothing the same. But, I found just a chocolate chip cookie recipe from Tessa's Blog, NINE + SIXTEEN, that sounded pretty close and the pictures looked almost identical.

So today, I set out on a mission to create my own version of the Chick-Fil-A Chocolate Chip Cookie by adapting this recipe. And I was fairly pleased with my results. Not exactly the same, still missing something. I just can't quite put my finger on it. If any of you try it and figure out what is missing, please let me know!

Chick-Fil-A Chocolate Chip Cookies

(full recipe below)

1) First Gather all of your ingredients.

2) Then mix together butter and sugars, then eggs, vanilla, and milk. Stir together dry ingredients and mix in. Then stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips.

3) Using a medium size scoop make messy clumps.


4) Put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and then bake.


5) Cool and enjoy! Or eat straight off the pan while they are still super warm and gooey!


Chick-Fil-A Chocolate Chip Cookies

(makes about 32, depending on what size your scoop is)

Ingredients:

2 sticks unsalted butter (slightly cold, but not straight out of the fridge) 
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup of milk
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
1- 1/2 cups oats

Directions:

Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat together butter and both sugars until well combined and fluffy. Then add in eggs one at a time, then milk and vanilla, mixing on low speed just until mixed. At this point the dough will be more like batter and kind of runny. Next in a separate bowl stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add flour mixture to the mixing bowl and mix at low speed. Be careful to add slowly or else flour will go everywhere (thankfully I have a mixing guard!). After all of the flour is mixed in stir in the oatmeal first and then the chocolate chips. If the dough is too stiff to stir in oats and chocolate chips you can mix in a little extra milk. However, remember that the more milk you add the less flavor all the other ingredients will have and you don't want the dough too liquidy or the cookies will spread a lot! When the dough is ready to be scooped it should be pretty firm, almost like store bought cookie dough (although I've never used that before ;) ) Scoop clumps of cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, and then place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. If you plan to leave them in the fridge for more than a few hours they need to be covered. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 8 minutes at 375 and then when the timer goes off turn down the oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 9 more minutes. When they come out of the oven they should be lightly golden brown on top. Let them cool for a few minutes on the pan and then move to a cooling rack. Or eat them straight from the pan! Hope you enjoy! 

17 comments:

  1. I have tried making the CFA chocolate chunk cookie, too. I used the Baking Illustrated cookie recipe first and while it is good, it was not like CFA. I recently created my own recipe. The CFA version has crisco as well as invert sugar (which is basically a sugar similar to honey that absorbs moisture and inhibits crystallization). I cooked my cookies at 325 for 12 minutes and used a 1.5tbsp (#40 cookie scoop) to scoop out one cookie, then using the Baking Illustrated method, I scooped out another cookie, stacked them on top of each other, and baked them that way so they'd be huge. They are very close to the CFA cookies - they fall apart when you try to pick them up and they taste very chocolatey. I also used ghirardelli semi-sweet chips because i didn't have milk chocolate chunks and semi-sweet chips. I don't know how CFA always has them warm, but I'm going to ask next time I go in if they microwave them as someone orders one because I think that affects the taste and makes the warm and gooey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April,
      Your suggestions sound great! I will definitely have to look into invert sugar for next time I try to recreate them. And I'll try using Crisco. Thanks for commenting. And let me know if you find the perfect Chick-fil-a cookie!

      -Kaitlin

      Delete
    2. In reply to the person who wondered if CFA used a microwave to warm them - there are no micorwaves in CFAs

      Delete
  2. These look nice and thick and closer to the Chick-fil-a Chocolate Chip cookies than the other recipes I've seen. Their recipe however uses both semi-sweet and milk chocolate chunks and also has molasses. I also wonder if the oats are toasted a bit to add a nutty flavor. I love their cookies too, and am so happy you are trying to recreate them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie,
      Thanks for your ideas! I will definitely try the milk and semi-sweet chocolate next time! And the molasses sounds like it might be the flavor I'm missing.

      -Kaitlin

      Delete
  3. Lenora

    I felt they use Crisco also, and I believe that extra flavor you taste maybe ground Ginger. Not much, maybe about a 1/2 tsp. Also use more brown sugar than granulated sugar, brown sugar make the cookies softer. I use Nestle dark and milk chocolate. I've been trying to duplicate them also. Came pretty close on the last try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenora,
      Thanks for stopping by to comment on my post! Your tips about ginger and brown sugar sound like great ideas and I will definitely take them into account next time. I would love to see your recipe to compare! Good luck trying to recreate them also. (:

      -Kaitlin

      Delete
  4. If you look up the nutrition information for Chick-fil-A's cookies, it says they add molasses. Maybe that is what is missing from your recipe. I wish I had some molasses at my house to see how your recipe turns out with it, but I am looking forward to trying your recipe out!

    Thanks,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have cooked for many years and the CFA and my aunt's cookies are the best 2 I have ever tasted. I have tried to recreate my aunt's recipe that was never written down and I found she added just a tiny bit of cinnamon. I do not care for cinnamon but I think that is what we are tasting, not ginger that someone suggested. Also, I believe they do contain oats, but that the oats have been processed to a fine powder in a food processor first. I live a long way from a CFA and have been craving these so with a couple times of trial and error this is what I am going to try next. Let me know what you think. Don't know if I will be able to find this again so if any of you think this is closer please let me know via facebook. Linda Anderson Cline Portland TN thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, forgot to add that i also think they are baked at a very high temperature and cooked quickly. This results in the crunchy outside and soft chewy inside. This technique can be used for almost any cookie.

      Delete
    2. Linda,
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I will definitely try baking at a higher temperature next time, as well as adding some cinnamon and grounding the oats. I agree they don't seem like whole oats when you get the cookies from CFA.

      -Kaitlin

      Delete
  6. Hiya!

    Sorry I came late to the party but I just recently found this site after my boyfriend from VA said his favorite cookie was the chick fil a chocolate chunk oatmeal cookie and of course I accepted this challenge. I've never been to a chick fil a, so I am just working on tastes I know and what was said above and it worked out pretty well.

    -Instead of 2 sticks of butter, I used a 1/2 crisco and a stick of butter.

    -Made the inverted sugar (for the both brown and sugar) and it helped.

    -I also used 1/4 tsp of molasses and a zip of ginger and 1 tsp of cinnamon.

    I do need to work with it a bit more because I see my cookies are a bit puffy (I think that is due to the baking powder or soda) but they are quite delicious!

    Haven't passed it by my boyfriend yet but, we'll see! Just wanted to tell my findings. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina,
      Thanks for sharing your findings! I will definitely try using inverted sugar and some more spices next time, I've had a few people suggest that. When I made mine, I pressed the top down a little while they were in the over when they had about 3 minutes left. Left me know if you try again with other changes!

      -Kaitlin

      Delete
  7. Hey! I was just wanting to let you know a few things about the cookies that I actually can tell you first hand. I also LOVE those cookies, but I work at Chick Fil A, so I would get fat if I had them all the time. ;) So...I'm pretty sure the oats are grounded before put in the cookies, they come as frozen rounded dough shapes about an inch thick and maybe 2 inches wide and flattened at the top. They take about 15 to 20 minutes to bake. And they are kept warm by a warmer tray heated with lightbulbs. Hope it helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cross reference you will the ingredients and recipe of the Famed Neiman Marcus Cookie, and positve I am the CFA cookie DNA matches up, and will be complete your CSI journey. - YODA's MOM
    http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Detail/Chocolate-Chunk-Cookie#?details=ingredients
    http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2009/09/21/the-famed-neiman-marcus-cookie/

    ReplyDelete
  9. They use palm oil instead of butter that's the gooey secret. And don't forget a dab of molasses

    ReplyDelete
  10. I toasted the oats and tried to grind them a bit in the food processor but ended up with what I would call Oat Flour, even though I was using a quick pulsing motion. I toasted more oats and then I just sorta chopped them by hand with two big knifes. I am using the full 1&1/2 cups of oats that was recommended.
    I added:
    1&1/2 Tbsp. of Molasses (now that I taste them 1 TBSP is probably plenty.)
    1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, (now that I've tasted them, 1/4 tsp is probably enough)

    I also swapped 8 Tbsp of the butter for 8 Tbsp of Crisco,….this batch now consists of half butter and half crisco.

    I baked frozen dough balls at 400° for 10 min…probably could have done 7 or 8 min for a chewyer middle…but the outside was spot on with the thin layer of crispiness.

    I baked 2 cookies on the same cookie sheet but put parchment paper under them,..that seemed to keep them from spreading too far too fast.

    I tried the ball on top of a ball of dough and that didn't work well for me at all at 400°. I only baked 3 cookies out of the dough so I can try different things

    All in all, my attempt was VERY close!

    ReplyDelete